Connect with us

Liverpool News

Paul Tierney won’t referee this weekend after drop-ball controversy in Forest clash as FA set to investigate the match…



Referee Paul Tierney will not be officiating this weekend due to the drop-ball controversy that arose during the Nottingham Forest and Liverpool match. The FA is expected to investigate the incident further.


Referee Paul Tierney, who was involved in a controversial drop-ball incident during the Nottingham Forest vs.


Liverpool match, has been excluded from officiating in the upcoming Premier League weekend fixtures. The incident took place at the City Ground when Tierney stopped the game due to a head injury to Liverpool defender Ibrahima Konate.


Callum Hudson-Odoi had the ball when Tierney blew his whistle, but upon resuming play, he opted to drop the ball for Liverpool goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher to restart the attack for his team.


After Callum Hudson-Odoi from Forest had possession, Tierney blew his whistle. However, when play resumed, he made the decision to drop the ball for Liverpool keeper Caoimhin Kelleher, who then restarted the attack for his team.


A few minutes later, Darwin Nunez scored for the Reds in the 99th minute, securing victory and denying Forest a crucial point in their fight for survival in the Premier League.


Tierney’s actions received widespread criticism, leading the Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL) to exclude him from refereeing a Premier League fixture this weekend.


Nevertheless, Tierney has been chosen as the video assistant referee (VAR) for the Arsenal versus Brentford match on Saturday evening, indicating that he hasn’t been completely sidelined.


However, it is worth noting that Tierney’s role as the video assistant referee (VAR) for the Arsenal versus Brentford match on Saturday evening suggests that he has not been completely sidelined.


According to sources close to PGMOL, Tierney’s absence from refereeing duties is not a disciplinary action but rather a part of the regular rotation between refereeing and VAR responsibilities.


Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg, who now works as a referee analyst for Forest, criticized Tierney’s decision, arguing that Forest should have been awarded possession in accordance with the rules.


Clattenburg expressed his opinion on BBC Radio 5 Live, stating, “[Forest] should have been given the ball back. If the referee stops the game, he must return the ball to the team in possession. In this case, it was Forest.”


Clattenburg mentioned that Liverpool scored after the ball was given to the keeper, which is why Forest feels aggrieved.


Clattenburg expressed his desire to discuss the issue with Tierney but was reportedly denied entry to the referee’s dressing room post-game.


The aftermath of the match went beyond the field, with Forest’s first-team coach Steven Reid being sent off by Tierney for disputing the decision. Reports of club owner Evangelos Marinakis needing to be restrained in the tunnel were refuted by Forest.


Despite Forest’s complaints, PGMOL stated that they have not received any formal grievances from the club regarding Tierney’s handling of the incident.